Are you suffering from thyroxine deficiency? Here is the best solution – Levothyroxine
Levothyroxine is manufactured (human-made) structure of the thyroid hormone thyroxine (T4). This medicine rapidly using to treat thyroid hormone deficiency and consisting varies form of myxedema coma. Thyroxine initially isolated in 1914 by Edward Calvin Kendall. The Thyroxine hormone was synthesized in 1927 by Charles Robert Harington and George Barger. Accordingly, Levothyroxine had first invented in 1927. Levothyroxine included the World Health Organization’s list of essential medicines that the most efficient and secure medications needed in a health system. Levothyroxine was the most frequently prescribed medications in the United States in 2016, with more than 114 million prescriptions.
Especially You Should Know About This
Brand names: Synthroid, Levoxyl, Levothroid, Tirosint-Sol, Unithroid, etc
Generic names: Levothyroxine, L-thyroxine
Chemical Formula: C15H11I4NO4
Weight: Average – 776.87
Ingredients: Levothyroxine Sodium
It’s coming with different colors and shapes
Levothyroxine medicine manufactured and marketed under various brand names by different companies. Levothyroxine is available in both dosage forms of round and elliptical/oval shape in tablets and solution. White, Green, Yellow, Pink and Orange colored tablets manufactured by various pharmaceutical companies.
Have you ever know about the reaction of Levothyroxine?
Levothyroxine operates the same as the endogenous thyroid hormone thyroxine (T4, a tetra-iodinated tyrosine derivative). In the liver and kidney, T4 was converted to T3, the active metabolite. To increase the solubility, the thyroid hormone binding proteins, thyroxin-binding globulin, and thyroxine-binding prealbumin (transthyretin). Carrying and binding to thyroid hormone receptors in the cytoplasm and nucleus then takes place. Thus by acting as a restoration for natural thyroxine, effects of thyroxine deficiency are relieved.
How we can use this medication – Levothyroxine
This medicine comes as a tablet and a capsule to take by mouth. The drug can develop symptoms of thyroid deficiency such as lack of energy (strength), slow speech, weight reduction, significant hair fall, feeling cold, skin dryness, etc. Levothyroxine medicine is used as a replacement for a hormone which naturally produced by thyroid gland used to medication or prevents goiter (enlarged thyroid gland) that caused to hormone imbalances, radiation treatment, surgery, or thyrotropin secondary thyroid cancer.
The medication also approved to treat myxedema coma, which is a form of hypothyroidism characterized by mental status difference and hypothermia.
What else should know about Levothyroxine?
- Keep away and out this medicine from children.
- In case of allergies to Levothyroxine, thyroid hormone or any of the ingredients in Levothyroxine tablets and other medicine, be aware of the list of ingredients in Levothyroxine tablets or capsules.
- Dosage may be different according to the body weight, an individual condition of the patient and age category.
- Levothyroxine tablets, capsules and dry power should keep under the room temperature, 15 C to 30 C in a light-resistant and a container. The powdered form of Levothyroxine should use immediately once mixed with liquid.
- Inform your doctor if you ever suffered from a thyroid nodule, heart disease, a blood clot, kidney disease, anemia, diabetes, osteoporosis or any food/ drug allergies.
- Please consult from the doctor in case of pregnancy and breastfeeding while you are taking medication
- Do not ever use this medicine without a doctor’s prescription.
- This medicine works appropriately when you take the drug before 30 to 60 minutes to breakfast.
What are the dosage forms available from Levothyroxine?
What are the side effects?
Most of the times adverse effects caused by incorrect dosing. Long term elimination of TSH values lower average level will cause cardiac side effects and osteoporosis. An overdose of Levothyroxine leads to hyperthyroidism, heart palpitations, abdominal pain, nausea, anxiousness, confusion, agitation, insomnia, and weight loss.
In allergic reactions, Levothyroxine is described by symptoms like difficulty breathing, shortness of breath or swelling of the face and tongue.
How does food interact with Levothyroxine?
There are some foods which help the absorption of thyroxine. Hence other elements deduct intakes are aluminum and magnesium consisting antacids, simethicone, sucralfate, cholestyramine, colestipol and polystyrene sulfonate.
Some researches reveal that grapefruit delayed the absorption of Levothyroxine medicine and Coffee may interfere with the incorporation of the medication.
How do drugs or supplements interact with Levothyroxine?
- Diabetic patients may increase or decrease the needed dose of insulin or antibiotic drug with the initiation or discontinuation of the medicine Levothyroxine.
- Levothyroxine may affect to increase the influence of blood thinners and monitoring blood clotting is necessary.
- Taking Levothyroxine at simultaneously as calcium carbonate, ferrous sulfate, cholestyramine may decrease the influence of Levothyroxine and caused to hypothyroidism.
- Converting hypothyroidism to the average level of thyroid (euthyroid) state with Levothyroxine may increase the blood level of theophylline.
- Intravenous treatment of epinephrine to patients with coronary artery disease may cause complications ranging from difficulty in breathing to a heart attack. These confusions may occur more commonly among patients also taking Levothyroxine.